Re: Patching in an environment used for dataguard

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 27, 11:14 am, dba cjb <chris.br..._at_providentinsurance.co.uk> wrote:
> 9777078 Patch Number 38
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.4 Enterprise / windows 2003 server
>
> I am looking to plan  a patch to production and then a patch to
> dataguard environment
>
> My general ( simplified ! ) plan for dataguard / following production
> patch will be as follows
>
> * Stop database
> * Apply software
> * Re-start database ...with the hope that continued application of
> archive logs will apply the patch database changes already applied to
> production
>
> cheers
> Chris B

Hi Chris,

It's always safer to ask Oracle, but we have used the steps in your plan several times with no issues, so this should work. The database script changes run on the production database will be propagated to the standby via the redo stream. If you are *really* concerned, you can try to tie the application of the patch as close as possible to when you stop applying redo on the standby, so they "mostly" match.

However, as noted, we have never had an issue when doing this.

Regards,

Steve Received on Mon Sep 27 2010 - 14:24:56 CDT

Original text of this message