RMAN: Recover From an Older Backup Set

From: if_investor_at_yahoo.com <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:49:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

On 10g/Win2003, I can get RMAN to restore the most recent backup set, but not older ones. That is, when I try to restore an older backup set, RMAN
will automatically find the most recent backup set and restore from that,
although that is not what I want.

For example, a RMAN script successfully backups the database and archivelogs at 1PM and 5PM today. I now want to restore the 1PM backup set.

My script for restoring RMAN is (Filenmess are those of the 1PM dataset)
{
  configure CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT ' \\<network>\<share>\admin
\RMANCSA_11RLOCFL8_1_1';

   restore DATABASE;
 configure channel device type disk format '\\<network>\<share> \admin
\RMANCSA_11TLOCG6J_1_1';

   restore archivelog from sequence 327;  }

RMAN will recognize that there is a more recent backupset, and restore from
that; In the restore log file (Filename is from the 5PM dataset), I see the
entry..

channel ORA_DISK_1: reading from backup piece \\<share>\<drive>ADMIN
\RMANCSA_11ULOCI8F_1_1
Same thing for the file with the archive logs..

How can I get RMAN to ignore the more recent backups and restore to the one that I specify?

Thanks,
QZ Received on Mon Sep 20 2010 - 16:49:55 CDT

Original text of this message