Re: off to the farm to start new career ...

From: Tuomas <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:36:06 +0300

On 11/09/10 18:20, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:28:35 +0300, Tuomas wrote:
>
>> Oracle as a company is (IMHO) on the slippery path, there are many signs
>> of marketing-driven company
>
> Any company is marketing driven. People usually establish companies to
> make money.

Sorry, it wasn't too clear what I was trying to say, I'll try to clarify.

A company can make money in many ways, some make actual products people are so happy to buy so you don't need much push (the good), some market products so forcefully it sells anyway (TV shops) (the bad) and then there's more or less open fraud (spam) (the ugly).

(At least) to me, there's a major difference between these and the last ones are what I call "marketing driven": They couldn't sell anything without massive marketing, while the first one need only initial break-through and then word-of-mouth does most of the rest.

(That's the way I heard from Oracle first time, somewhere along version 4.x, long time ago: Complicated, very technical product which did outstanding job. )

Also all of these companies need marketing, it just a emphasis between engineering/marketing and substance of marketing (hype/facts -ratio) which changes.

Amount of hype from Oracle has exploded in last 10 years and I don't see respective amount of substance appearing. Maybe it's just me.

--
Tuomas - VWs: '63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2