Re: off to the farm to start new career ...

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:32:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:29:57 -0700, Noons wrote:

> How true, We're putting more and more stuff into SQLServer for very
> similar reasons. It's just a lot easier to work with than Oracle and
> its multiple "redefinitions of the world". The upgrade from SS2005 to
> 2008 was a model of smoothness. I can't say the same for 10g to 11g.
> Why, oh why, does Oracle have to reinvent the wheel on every new
> release?
> Ah well, their problem...

As a matter of fact, I tried pushing for DB2 because I am still suspicious of open source databases, especially after the MySQL story. MySQL was turned into a Cinderella of the database world, bought out by the evil stepmother. Unless a beautiful prince comes by, MySQL is f**ed. So far, there are new forks of MySQL, which can be translated into kissing frogs, without much to show for. Unfortunately, some people that have more sway than me are avid magazine readers and believe that open source is the way of the future. What I like about commercial databases is that there is someone to call and yell at when something bad happens. From what I read, DB2 looks as solid as they come. Unfortunately, I was overridden. So, Postgres it is.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com