Re: off to the farm to start new career ...

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:30:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 21:33:23 +1000, Noons wrote:

> Yegawds! And the scary thing is that it is absolute reality! In fact,
> I'm surprised Stonebraker wasn't mentioned in there somewhere...

Stonebraker probably isn't web scale and he doesn't support sharding, either. His VoltDB does look impressive, though. The company that I work for is using Vertica, another brainchild of his, for DW purposes and people are satisfied. It does what it promised to do and quickly. I am doing a bit of PostgreSQL too, and it is a decent RDBMS system. Nowhere near Oracle, of course, but the price is certainly right and it has been around for a while.
Bottom line is that you don't need an 18-wheeler to bring home weekly groceries. For Non-critical internal applications like HR stuff, internal website and NFL pool, PostgreSQL is more than enough. It is even good enough to take some simpler mission critical application, too.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com