Re: Upgrade from 9i to 11g with a physical standby as well

From: DG problem <skatefree_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:03:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 24, 2:16 pm, Gary <ga..._at_efn.org.spamsux> wrote:
> DG problem wrote:
> >HP-UX, 9.2.0.8 (still) EE, Running aphysicalstandby...
> >Has anyone done this before from 9i to 11gR2?
>
> What is to be gained by upgrading on the same system? During a major
> upgrade like this I would also take the opportunity to upgrade to the
> latest stable version of your operating system as well since it's
> probably several years stale, too. In that case, you'd want to use the
> export/import data pump (expdp and impdp) commands to first export your
> db from Oracle db version 9, install the new OS and db revs, then
> import your data. If you have aphysicalstandbyyou could always use
> it as the basis for the new OS and software so you still have the
> original old versions as a fallback just in case.
>
> -Gary

The OS for both the production and DR site will be upgraded to the latest version before 11g is installed. Once 11g is fully installed I will be upgrading both databases and thus I was wondering if anyone else had followed the procedure that I had referenced. I'm guessing that upgrading 2TB of database on both sites would take less than a weekend, and hopefully under 8 hours. Data Pump would take much much longer, probably closer to a week?

I'm a bit rusty on Data Pump as I haven't used it for nearly four years :( Is it possible to expdp on a 9i database? Isn't it recommended to use the same version exp as the database? Are there some new features of Data Pump that allow it to effectively clone a running production database to 11g? Now that would be funky :)

At the moment I'm still leaning towards a weekend of downtime and upgrade using the standard Oracle procedures. Received on Wed Aug 25 2010 - 20:03:32 CDT

Original text of this message