Re: Difference bwtwwen REMOTE_LISTENER parameter not set and '' (empty string)

From: healdv_at_googlemail.com <healdv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 04:04:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 20, 8:57 pm, byrocat <strikemaster2..._at_yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I looked at one of our databses' configuration settings using
> Embarcadero DBArtisan and the value came up as "N/A" which means "not
> available". If you look at it under SQLPlus, you get a line that shows
> the name and what looks like no value but no indication that the
> configuration parameter has actually be set.
>
> Our database standard calls for the value to be set as '' (empty
> string).
>
> Is there a difference between these two (not set and empty string)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

It is the same thing for a new database that has never been configured with a remote_listener, but for an existing database or database you don't know the history of I would set the parameter to null to deregister  any previous value with a remote listener if that is your intention (to not use a remote listener) or to follow your standards. In your case it can't hurt as it looks like the intention is not to have a remote listener at this stage.

Mentioned in this article:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/network.101/b10775/listenercfg.htm "
If you set the parameter to null with the statement that follows, then PMON de-registers information with the remote listener with which it had previously registered information.

ALTER SYSTEM SET REMOTE_LISTENER='' " Received on Sat Aug 21 2010 - 06:04:35 CDT

Original text of this message