Re: Problem with network access Oracle 10g

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 11, 6:27 am, JR <n..._at_mine.mn> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:16:09 -0700 (PDT), gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On 11 Aug, 07:59, JR <n..._at_mine.mn> wrote:
> >> So, now, we have no support :(
>
> >Or an application.  Your bosses ever heard the phrase "false economy"?
>
> >-g
>
> They are all professional acountants... they don't get this untill it
> blows in their faces...

Yet they pay for insurance for various things. You might point out how much time-and-materials costs versus the support contract. You might point out there is a whole industry that has figured out what best practices are, having already made the mistakes, and another whole industry based on fixing the problems people run into not following such practices.

You are also welcome to point out that expensive people are laughing at them right now, and would be rubbing their hands in greedy glee, except they're too busy to bother with such cheapos.

You can entertain us even more if they say things like "we don't need backups, we have this SAN that will never die, guaranteed."

Get a contract dba in there to fix your problems (there's never just one...), that may open some eyes.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/breaking/california-man-pleads-guilty-to-illinois-ponzi-scheme-stealing-more-than-15-million-100433214.html