Re: Problem with network access Oracle 10g

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 10, 3:22 pm, JR <n..._at_mine.mn> wrote:
> Hello folks
>  I’m trying to find a solution for a strange problem.
>
> First, let me say that my knowledge of Oracle is almost nil. I’m the
> local Windows tech support, am am trying to help the Oracle admins to
> fix this.
>
> We have a Oracle 10g server which was set up in a fixed IP Windows
> 2003 server (call it server1, temporary IP 111.111.111.111). After it
> was set up, everything seemed to go ok: every other workstation could
> access it via web portal (http://server1, and application athttp://server1/pls/prt)
>
> However, we have now changed the IP of the server to it’s definitive
> (call it 111.111.222.222); since then, the only workstations that can
> accesshttp://server1are workstations with fixed IP; any workstation
> that uses DHCP-assigned IP gets “page doesn’t exist). I’ve tried
> putting the servers name+IP on the workstations host file, but no
> luck. Also, many workstations with fixed IP can only reach the basic
> portal (http://server1);reachinghttp://server1/pls/prtis reserved
> for a few…
>
> The workstations can ping the server’s IP at will, and can access it
> using Windows remote access. I tried a tracert from both the
> DHCP-based and the fixed IP workstations, and the results were the
> same: path was straight from PC to server. All Oracle servers seem to
> be running, except “OracleCSS”, which is allways in a state of
> “starting”.
>
> We’re pretty much running out of ideas. Anyone knows something we may
> try? Did the change in the server’s fixed IP ruined some internal
> config?

Oracle's support is accessible at support.oracle.com. Normally someone supporting Oracle should have access to that, where you can search for answers to questions like this - you _need_ paid support. There is also tahiti.oracle.com, which is the doc set, available to all. Obviously, there is way too much you are expected to know. One thing is you should never hard code ip addresses.

Anyways, it is considered bad form in general to post support notes here, but this is a general one, not an exhaustive list (Note 734559.1):

---
Please check whether you have any hardcoded IP addresses present in
the following places:

* Listener configuration (LISTENER.ORA on server)
* TNS Name Services (TNSNAMES.ORA on server and clients)
* Oracle Names Services (ONAMES)
* Oracle Internet Directory (OID)
* TCP valid nodes list and/or invalid node list (e.g. check for tcp.
invited_nodes and tcp.excluded_nodes statements in local/remote
servers' SQLNET.ORA)
* Database initialization parameters that allow Hostname/IP address
specifications (INIT<SID>.ORA, SPFile)
o LOCAL_LISTENER
o REMOTE_LISTENER
o DISPATCHERS
---

You can run tnsping from your clients to see whether the listener is
running and that you can get to it.

More info about this group:  http://dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

You need to post more info about your exact oracle version, what app
you are running, did  you use the same user to change the oracle
configuration as to install it, and so forth.  There are also likely
to be log files in various places that should be getting errors.  From
the server command line, try running lsnrctl status.

See http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1095622 for
some things to try (found by googling change windows ip address for
oracle).

jg
--
_at_home.com is bogus.