Re: OCI protocol specification, where?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 4, 1:17 pm, jbdhl <jbirksd..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Where can I find a specification of the Oracle Call Interface (OCI)
> > protocol?
>
> Actually, what I want to do in the end is to create some kind of pass-
> through proxy that can listen and receive OCI, and then forward the
> commands to the database (sometimes slightly altered). What is the
> best way to do this?

Have you checked the OCI programmers guide? Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and put in Oracle Call Interface. The manuals show you how to do it and tell you where demo programs are, although there may be some lying about that in certain versions. You best have support. There is also an old faq http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/htdocs/oci_faq.html OTN has a forum: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=67&start=0

This is kind of the hard way to do it though. I work on stuff that uses that sort of thing, but it's been refined for 20 years by the vendor and numerous use cases, and suffers from trying to make things work the same with different databases, and a huge lag time between db feature introduction and use, if ever. What is your real objective? If I were starting something from scratch these days, I'd certainly want to use modern database capabilities.

I'm not a fan of ODBC, anyways, though I can see why others might be excited about it. Yes, it is a wrapper for OCI.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2010/08/market-data-firm-spots-the-tracks-of-bizarre-robot-traders/60829/