Re: Incompetent Oracle Support

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:02:53 +0530

On 7/30/2010 10:09 PM, joel garry wrote:
> So how does this add value over, say, Postgres, or some Oracle free
> thingee?

The Oracle free thingy has severe limitations, no patches and sits last I knew one full release backlevel...
PostgresPlus (which I presume you are referring to) is developed by a company with 100 employees which has obvious limitation on where businesses are willing to deploy it. Not to speak of limited scalability and availability solution.
I do not see FranceTelecom or Potash, a detroit carmaker or some food and beverages conglomerate moving to PostgressPlus for key applications.

>> I'm not even going to comment on this old same-code-base chestnut. It's
>> getting truly lame.
>
> Can't disagree with that (even agreeing with Noons), but the larger
> point of marketing fluff driving purchasing decisions stands.
Absolutely. Have shot my mouth off on IBM marketing before. It does resonate with the C-level-types though....

--
Serge Rielau
SQL Architect DB2 for LUW