Re: temporary tables

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:09:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 25, 3:26 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 07/24/2010 08:06 PM, francogrex wrote:

> > Eventually I could SELECT INTO a table in an
> > external database. But I am using ODBC to
> > connect to the ORACLE server and I don't have
> > any local ORACLE database I can select into.
>
> Here's another option: create your own instance on a different system
> and copy the data via Data Pump or a database link.  Then you can create
> indexes etc. in your own copy of the DB.  Update efficiency is still an
> issue.  But if this is a one off operation then this approach might be
> feasible.
>
> Kind regards

Adding a little to that, if your data and processing requirements are "small" enough, use XE on your local system. See the docs for the limitations. Besides its own tools, it is a full Oracle environment so you can grab the data in several ways depending on how much access you have to the server. I bet your ODBC access definition has enough information to make a dblink or tnsnames, if you can't just log onto the server and export. And if you are using ODBC, I suspect your requirements are "small" enough.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/26/damage-from-leaks-wh-says-disclosure-alarming/