Re: temporary tables

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 23, 9:52 am, Francogrex <fra..._at_grex.org> wrote:
> I have access to a database as read-only (so, I cannot create tables,
> insert or update values etc)... But I need to search a col with type
> LONG and since this is not a possibility to search it in a when
> clause, they suggested I try to convert it to CLOB first. Is there a
> way that I create a "temporary table" (ex would reside only in PC
> memory or a local DB on my PC) that is not in the read-only database
> and do the work on that table (which will not commit anything and will
> disappear upon closing the session)?

I think you misunderstand Oracle Temporary tables. here's a quote from the concepts guide

"In addition to permanent tables, Oracle can create temporary tables to hold session-private data that exists only for the duration of a transaction or session."

from:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/schema.htm#sthref771

So talk to your DBA about creating a temporary table for you. You may need some other things as well to search the CLOB. I suggest you talk to your DBA for help.

   Ed Received on Fri Jul 23 2010 - 12:42:13 CDT

Original text of this message