Re: Another annoying delay

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 17, 8:49 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_no.address.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:37:40 -0700, jimmyb wrote:
> >  Thomas Kyte "Expert Oracle Database Architecture: Oracle Database
> > Programming 9i, 10g, and 11g Techniques and Solutions, Second Edition"
> >    Estimated arrival date: August 03 2010 - August 11 2010
> > </quote>
>
> And that is why I never pre-order books any more. Being an inhabitant of
> the Big Apple, there are few bookstores available and I'll get the book
> as soon as it shows up at my friendly local B&N.

My order is still showing an expected ship date of July 19, 2010 (tomorrow - free shipping). I ordered the book on May 23, so maybe they are trying to fill the oldest orders first. Tom's book is currently listed as #1 in the Oracle category on Amazon's sales rank, and I suspect that Amazon underestimated the demand for the book (or Apress under estimated the number of copies needed in the initial printing). I look forward to seeing the changes that the author was found between Oracle Database 10.1 and 11.2.

Mladen, it is good that you are supporting the physical book stores that sell Oracle books. The stores in my area usually carry only a couple of Oracle books, and lately not anything that I am interested in purchasing. The benefit of being able to physically page through a book before purchase and walk out the door with that purchase is sometimes worth the 25% to 40% higher cost.

By the way, very funny humor at the start of the thread... ExaKyte

Charles Hooper
Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration from the Oak Table"
http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sun Jul 18 2010 - 12:52:52 CDT

Original text of this message