Re: Can RMAN backup to two different directories while using one channel?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:56:49 +0200

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:21:33 -0700 (PDT), DG problem <skatefree_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>HP-UX 11.11, 9.2.0.8, no ASM, 2TB database
>
>Is it possible for RMAN to backup to two different directories while
>using only one parallel channel, ie to use the following setting for
>two different directories?

No

>CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1;
>
>The reason I need to do this is because our database is bigger than
>2Tb yet the HP-UX file system only allows mountpoints under 2TB to be
>created. So, a backup of the database will not fit into one directory.
>I can allocate two channels manually using two different directories,
>but the directories are on the same physical disks and thus I was
>wondering if one channel would be faster than two channels on the same
>disks?

Two channels will create an IO bottleneck or you must replace backup database by backup tablespace .. channel <whatever> , making your script error prone.
I would investigate using a tape robot, if I were you.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Jul 13 2010 - 01:56:49 CDT

Original text of this message