Re: cluster,performance, 6k clients and lobs

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 9, 2:52 am, "hehehe" <antoni..._at_poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> Hello!
>
>    Wa are trying to create application for archive lots of documents about
> 15mln(1mb each). We will use oracle 11g database with cluster and
> partitioning. There wiill be 3k to 6k parallel clients connection. All
> documdnts will be in blob tables. So my question is what kind of servers and
> diskk arreys we need to buy to meet the demands and to develop application
> in the future? What is very important and what is not ? We weill use redhat
> 5.x 64bit server. We will create middle tier applications in cluster to. So
> maybe someone have similar production app ? Every opinion,info etc will be
> very helpfull
>
> regards -MJ

MJ, your description is a little unclear but what you want to do is estimate how many IO per second you need to handle and then spec the hardware especially the disk farm to be able to handle the load. The number of concurrent sessions is very important for determining the server specifications: number cpu and memory.

Being that I work for HP I will recommend that you look over our offerings. If you want Intel base X86 processors we have the DL380 line which is pretty good and we also have Itanium based product. We also offer storage solutions and network switches. We can provide the complete package which can make our solutions very cost effective. Just visit our web site.

But to get truely useful sizing help you need to determine your IO requirements and concurrent user load. You will also need your total storage requirements. With this you can make informed decisions. Without decent estimates you might as well just buy as much hardware as you can afford. Once you have this information you can contact various vendors and ask them to submit bids with appropriate equipment to meet your performance specifications.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Jul 10 2010 - 08:08:55 CDT

Original text of this message