Re: Internal imp errors importing 8.1.7 dump file on 10.2

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 02:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 6, 7:51 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 9:31 am, Wolfram Rösler <wolfram.roes..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I have a 24 GB dump file that was created with Oracle 8.1.7 on AIX,
> > which I want to proof-read with 10.2 on Windows, so I did:
>
> > imp system/xxx file=export.dmp fromuser=name touser=name show=y
>
> > It runs fine for a while but then prints the following errors:
>
> >  illegal lob length marker 49408
> >  bytesread = 00000000000
> >  TABLE = MYTABLENAME
> > IMP-00098: INTERNAL ERROR: impgst2
> > IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:
> > <07><1e>
> > IMP-00032: SQL statement exceeded buffer length
>
> > These occur several times until IMP-00008 repeats forever (until I
> > aborted the import 16 hours later). Importing with a larger buffer
> > ("buffer=2000000") made no difference.
>
> > The dump file can be imported without errors and warnings on the
> > source machine (8.1.7 on AIX). The original dump file and my copy of
> > it have identical CRCs so it's not a corruption issue. I'm running imp
> > directly on the DB server so it's not a client/server compatibility
> > issue either.
>
> > The export parameters are nothing special:
>
> > exp system/xxx file=export.dmp owner=name consistent=y
>
> > Any idea what's going wrong? Is the dump file ok, and if so, how can I
> > import it?
>
> > Thanks for any help
> > W. Rösler
>
> According to my reading of Vlad's reference:
> Compatibility Matrix for Export And Import Between Different Oracle
> Versions [Video] #132904.1
>
> An 8.1.7.4 export can be read by 10.2 imp.

My bad indeed, I read the matrix incorrectly. Direct import from 8.1.7 to 10.2 seems to be officially supported.

> I would think the fact you are running this with show=y indicates the
> dmp file is corrupted.  At least that is what the error means per
> note:
>
> IMP-00098: INTERNAL ERROR: impgst2Segmentation Fault - core dumped
> #578616.1
>
> zero length lobs are also a possible issue
> Bug 3890213 - IMP-98 possible importing zero length Lobs with
> CHUNKSIZE > 32767 #3890213.8
>
> So you could have a zero length LOB to fix before exporting or perhaps
> as mentioned the copy of the export dmp file was not done using a
> binary FTP but there is a very good chance the export is corrupted.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Strange thing is that according to the OP this same export dump is processed without errors on 8.1.7, so this must be either a bug, an incompatibility or a corruption. Since 8.1.7 to 10.2 import is supported and mentioned zero length LOB bug is fixed in 10.2.0.1 base release, we are left with corruption, but the OP says file checksums match. I don't know how the file was checksummed, but I'd recommend to zip it on source host and transfer compressed dump in binary mode to the target - if unzip will not throw any errors, you can be sure the file is not corrupted.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev Received on Wed Jul 07 2010 - 04:50:06 CDT

Original text of this message