Re: Career Growth in Database Field (Developer, DBA)

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:00:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 4:51 am, Sanjeev <sanjeev.atvan..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Gurus,
>
> I have 4 years of expirience in SQL, PL-SQL and basic DBA activities,
> currently my designation is Software Developer,
> and Working on below aspect.
> - SQL (involved MIS queries), ad-hoc queries, user management etc.
> - PL-SQL(SP,Function,User defined Package, inbuilt Package, trigger
> etc.), Warehouse Builder
> - DBA aspect involed Tablespace management, Partitioning, Query
> Tuning, Monitoring
> - Also worked on Java,J2EE(Core Java, Servlet, JSP)
> - involed mostly in MIS reporting and mining projects in telecom
> domain.
> - current project involved mining but we are not using any tool,
> purely SQL and PL-SQL.
>
> I am going to get an appraisal. I am intrested in Datawarehousing and
> Mining.
> My Question is Does designaion matter, If yes then what Designation I
> must get based on above.
> And how it will be helpful for me in getting into Datawarehousing and
> Mining.
>
> Do I need to do any courses or anything else to get into
> Datawarehousing and Mining.
>
> Thanking in Advance
> SQLStar

In my opinion to work in Data Warehousing you do not need any special designation. If you have the interest and have read a little on the subject then the next step would be to seek out a project or employer who has work in a Warehouse or related project such as building a datamart.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Jun 26 2010 - 13:00:36 CDT

Original text of this message