Re: General SAN advice needed for 2TB 9.2.0.8 database on HP-UX

From: DG problem <skatefree_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:47:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 24, 12:07 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:00:11 +0200, Frank van Bortel wrote:
> > Make it all SAME: Stripe and Mirror Everything.
>
> You're in marketing? SAME == RAID 1+0.
>
> > Don't know about stripe sizes -
>
> That was the OP's question.
>
> > what do you think to gain by playing with these?
>
> Speed.
>
> And yes, stripe size of 1MB is good. Allegedly, 11G will work well with
> 4M, but I haven't had an opportunity to try that.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Just some more notes to confirm that I have this correct.

Stripe depth is the size of the stripe, sometimes called stripe unit. Stripe width is the product of the stripe depth and the number of drives in the striped set.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28274/iodesign.htm#i28412

segment size = stripe depth
1MB stripe width = eight drives * stripe depth = 8 * 128KB

This SAN parameter is dynamic apparently (guess it depends on brand) SAN Cache block size = SAN cache page size = DB_BLOCK_SIZE = 8KB DB_BLOCK_SIZE should = file block size which should = cache block size
http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h796-implementing-oracle-emc-clariion-stor-sys-wp.pdf

We probably don't need to worry about making the log files non-cached as the cache is battery backed up? Received on Thu Jun 24 2010 - 01:47:44 CDT

Original text of this message