Re: question about upgrade to 11gR2 RAC

From: Avijit <avijit.bhowmik_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 23, 7:04 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:49:56 -0700, Avijit wrote:
> > 1. did u shutdown the 10g ASM and db instances and the crs before u
> > started theupgrade?
>
> DB & ASM were shut down, CRS was running.
>
> > Asking because, when I tried to run the
> > runInstaller from 11g grid installation location it complained during
> > configuration of SCAN  that the vip is already assigned. But when I
> > stopped the 10g CRS it did not complian and proceeded 2. will running
> > runInstaller from grid installation directoryupgradeboth COS and
> > ASM?...while starting runInstaller, it automatically selects the option
> > "upgrdae grid infrastructure", does it mean both CRS and ASM?
> > Thanks
>
> Yes.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I was under the impression that since you are upgrading the CRS in the same box, wouldn't there be a conflict with the virtual ip of the server while configuring scan for 11g as it is already being used by 10g crs? That's what I am actually seeing in my case. The moment i shutdown 10g crs upgrade moves to the next screen or else it is stuck at the SCAN information page with the following error: "[INS-40719] IP address configured for Single Client Access Name (SCAN): dbatestlabdb1.abn-iad.ea.com is already assigned to another system"
Cause-The installer could not find the IP addresses you selected as SCAN addresses. This may be because they are assigned to another system, or the IP addresses are not listed in the DNS or hosts files as assigned to this domain name.
Action-Enter resolvable IP addresses to use as SCAN addresses. Received on Wed Jun 23 2010 - 14:22:17 CDT

Original text of this message