Re: General SAN advice needed for 2TB 9.2.0.8 database on HP-UX

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:00:11 +0200

On 06/23/2010 07:39 AM, DG problem wrote:
> Running 9.2.0.8 (still) on HP-UX 11.11
> 2TB database Used for OLTP and reporting
> New SAN is a Hitachi 5TB AMS2100
>
> It seems that these days the simple guidelines for configuring a large
> Oracle database on a SAN is to simply configure the SAN with a one
> megabyte stripe width across all disks (2 x 8 disks plus one spare).
> And, to use a cache block size which is the same size as the Oracle
> DB_BLOCK_SIZE which is 8192 (8kB)?
>
> All redo logs, archive logs, datafiles and tempfiles would be on the
> same mountpoint across the 1MB stripe.
>
> We also plan to use RAID 1+0
>
> Is this configuration in the right ball park?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>

> I took the 1MB stripe width size from the following document.
> Deploying, Managing, and Administering the Oracle Internet Platform
> Optimal Storage Configuration Made Easy
> Juan Loaiza, Oracle Corporation
>
> Which states:
> 1) Stripe all files across all disks using a one megabyte stripe
> width.
> 2) Mirror Data for high availability.

Make it all SAME: Stripe and Mirror Everything. Don't know about stripe sizes - what do you think to gain by playing with these? Did you look at the release date of aforementioned document? If you want to deviate from the vendors recommendations of stripe sizes, make sure to test, Test and TEST.

If anything else than vendor recommendation comes from that, the ng would appreciate feedback. Did I mention testing?

--

Regards,

Frank van Bortel (who's a member of BAARF)