cluster_database_instances less than actual number of instance, any harm?

From: charles <dshproperty_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 05:50:57 -0700 (PDT)

All,

We are trying to add one node to our RAC system (10.2.0.4) on linux. Our cluster_database_instances is set at 2, and we do not want to bounce our production database. We plan to keep it as 2 for a few month until we upgrade our Oracle.

According to Oracle document, cluster_database_instances does not have to be the same as the actual number of instance. As long as it is the same across the nodes, it is OK. Our test also show that setting cluster_database_instances at 2 for a three nodes cluster does not seem to have any issue.

Is there any harm to run three node cluster while setting cluster_database_instances at 2, say for 3 month?

Thanks for your help. Received on Fri Jun 18 2010 - 07:50:57 CDT

Original text of this message