Re: Copy 100GB MSSQL 9.0 Database to Oracle 10g

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_no.address.invalid>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 04:50:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:42:42 +0200, Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Ah, but the Migration Workbench allows to migrate TSQL to PL/SQL, too.
> Not just data (for which it will generate fairly efficient bulk unload
> and SQL*Loader scripts).
>
> Don't know if/how SQL Developer handles code and/or data. Don't know the
> requirements, either.
>
> Be very very careful when this is to be some kind of comparison. Oracle
> != MS Sql Server!

I must say that I never migrate the procedural code from anything to Oracle. If something is needed, I will usually rewrite it. Databases other than Oracle are not so verbose and the system design is not quite at that level so there is normally very little of the procedural code in the database. Tools like workbench are best suited for migrating the structures, tables, indexes and views. For the data transfer, I will usually write tailor-made Perl script which will normally complete sooner than SQL*Developer, because SQL*Developer will unload the data into the intermediate files and use SQL*Loader to load the data. I can normally write code that will do select from the 3rd party DB and insert into Oracle RDBMS simultaneously. If you are migrating EMP and DEPT tables, the speed doesn't really matter, but if number of rows is in the millions, Perl will be faster.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com