Re: The Oracle ODBC driver story

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:56:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 11, 6:59 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:19:27 -0700, John Hurley wrote:
> > So you are talking about making ODBC calls from a linux machine?  What
> > kind of software does that exactly?
>
> http://www.unixodbc.org
>

> > Sorry to be dense here but all the significant development efforts I
> > have seen over the last 10 years using the Oracle plumbing ( SQLNet
> > whatever you want to call it ) stack and/or OCI stuff ... I kind of
> > thought at this point the whole ODBC thing is a dying and/or outmoded
> > set of technology.
>
> There are many pieces of software that use ODBC. Microsoft tried killing
> it, in favor of ADO, but ODBC is still alive and well, even kicking a**.
> That sort of debate would be off topic here.
>

> > As far as "complaining several times" did you submit an SR and
> > especially an SR with some kind of test case that demonstrates a
> > repeatable failure?
>
> To be very short: yes, I have. No resolution. The failure was
> acknowledged, but never resolved. Had you taken the time to read my post,
> you would have noticed a link to the Red Hat bug repository in which they
> do acknowledge the bug but essentially say "go ask oracle why are they
> shipping an incompatible driver". That is a verifiable fact. This is
> precisely what I am doing: asking here why is Oracle shipping an unusable
> driver?
>
> The course of events that lead me to this is the following: I am looking
> into an open source reporting engine called RLIB. This engine, as is the
> case with many open source products, has the native links toward MySQL
> and Postgres and uses ODBC links for all proprietary databases that they
> cannot distribute themselves. Oracle, obviously, belongs to the latter
> category. RLIB is an engine that can produce PDF and HTML reports,
> running in batch. It manages pages, groups, headers, footers and all of
> the other stuff that report engines do. It has Perl bindings, so it's
> easy for me to write scripts that will be executed by cron and produce a
> lot of pretty reports asked for by my management. RLIB doesn't have a
> native Oracle connection, it requires ODBC. I wasted my entire evening
> linking and configuring something that should have been packaged. The
> product is described here:http://rlib.sicompos.com
> See if you're smarter than me and can configure it to use Oracle without
> ODBC.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Why don't you ask Wim Coekaerts?

I suppose you could have rlib talk to something else with native links that then talks to Oracle... or have a 10g intermediary... I'm assuming you are on some 11g?

You mentioned compiling it from source? Isn't that the DIY way?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"You're listening to RDB on Bluesville." - Heard on satellite radio.