Re: The Oracle ODBC driver story

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:19:27 -0700 (PDT)

Mladen:

# What is the story with Oracle ODBC driver? Oracle is stubbornly shipping the driver that doesn't work with unixODBC shipped with the Red Hat distribution. I complained several times, never got any usable reply.

Ok I am really not understanding you here ( as usual probably eh? ).

AFAIK ODBC is a client technology and from a client machine you can use ODBC calls against a remote Oracle database. I think mostly Microsoft based software uses ODBC type calls ( not exactly sure ... maybe things like Delphi ... PowerBuilder ... etc may also use that stuff ).

So you are talking about making ODBC calls from a linux machine? What kind of software does that exactly?

Sorry to be dense here but all the significant development efforts I have seen over the last 10 years using the Oracle plumbing ( SQLNet whatever you want to call it ) stack and/or OCI stuff ... I kind of thought at this point the whole ODBC thing is a dying and/or outmoded set of technology.

As far as "complaining several times" did you submit an SR and especially an SR with some kind of test case that demonstrates a repeatable failure? Received on Fri Jun 11 2010 - 08:19:27 CDT

Original text of this message