Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 8, 3:16 am, BChase <bsc7080xx..._at_myoracleportal.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 00:53:28 +0000 (UTC), Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 07:43:39 -0700, Sanjeev wrote:
>
> >> So, Is there any SQL datatype which will allow more than 4000 character
> >> so as to change data type of column 'LocDetail' in LocationDetail table.
>
> >CLOB and LONG. LONG is deprecated, both types are a pain in the neck or
> >lower.
>
> What about the XML Datatype... its CLOB sized... but formatted XML making it easier to pull data using built-ins. Thoughts ?

I agree with Steve, unless there is some specific reason to be talking to another kind of system, relational constructs should be used. One thing I work on is the database side of a web shopping app, and the mixture of mysterious stuff in dll's that I don't get documentation for, pushing data around in XML's _and_ fat client db access _and_ synchronizing Oracle and SS _and_ strange db-blind programming effects is just a mess.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"When they add Verizon, they will have to rebuild the entire insides