Re: Index strategy

From: <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:23:57 -0400

Helma <helma.vinke_at_hotmail.com> writes:

> I now work at a shop where the developers over the years have added
> many (random) indexes on the database, and (still) having problems
> with performance. I see many sql-statements coming by that use
> suboptimal indexes, I think it would be a good idea to mass-review the
> sql and indexes, increasing the quality of the indexes and reduce the
> 'overindexing' of the DB. Seniors! I assume you have encountered this
> situation before. How to efficiently deal with such situation?

At the end of the day, what is "over-indexing" a database? If you don't see a slowdown because of the indexes, it sounds like you should be fine there. So what if an index isn't used or one index would solve what 5 indexes are currently solving. If something is hitting you because of too many indexes, then indentify those indexes and fix that problem. Other than that, start putting good practices going forward and keep a look out for problems caused by over-indexing.

--
Galen Boyer

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news_at_netfront.net ---