Re: Oracle 11 Server and Unicode UTF-8

From: Randolf Geist <>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 13:39:15 -0700 (PDT)

On May 27, 8:49 pm, Walt <> wrote:
> We're running Oracle 10g on Windows using ISO 8859 as the character set.
> We're exploring the idea of converting to unicode (UTF8) along with the
> upcoming upgrade to v11.
> I haven't found a good reference for how to best accomplish the

These topics are well covered for example on Metalink / MOS - good references / starting points can be found in the following documents:

788156.1: AL32UTF8 / UTF8 (Unicode) Database Character Set Implications
260192.1: Changing the NLS_CHARACTERSET to AL32UTF8 / UTF8 (Unicode)

These notes also describe how to get an overview of invalid / lossy / truncations due to the character set conversion - the tool to use is CSSCAN which will scan the data and generate corresponding reports.

Oracle related stuff blog:

Co-author of the "OakTable Expert Oracle Practices" book: Received on Fri May 28 2010 - 15:39:15 CDT

Original text of this message