Re: Off Topic: open source databases

From: Tim X <>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:25:57 +1000
> Mladen Gogala <> writes:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
>>> It's replacement in the world? I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle
>>> Corp.'s ownership if nothing else.
>> Hmmm, that doesn't compute, from my point of view. That is precisely why
>> I opened this topic. Why would a huge corporation suddenly abandon its
>> main cash cow in favor of a freebie? Slowly killing the freebie seems
>> more likely to me, now that Oracle Corp. owns it. I am not sure as to why
>> people are not trying to run away from MySQL, but they obviously are not.
> I don't think Oracle owns it. Nobody can "own" open source. They
> bought off the main braintrust and set up agreements so those guys
> wouldn't start up again.
> But, the way I understand it, anybody could continue development on MySql.

Yep, they could take a fork from it and do what they want. I suspect Oracle won't even try to kill it off. Mor likely, they just won't do anyting with it and it willl slowly wither from bitrot (or be replaced by a forked version). I'm not sure Oracle even really cares. It was something they just got with the Sun bundle. It probably wasn't even included as a line item in the purchase process.

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au