Re: Off Topic: open source databases

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:05:37 -0700 (PDT)

On May 27, 4:52 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 26, 9:34 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
> > > It's replacement in the world?  I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle
> > > Corp.'s ownership if nothing else.
>
> > Hmmm, that doesn't compute, from my point of view. That is precisely why
> > I opened this topic. Why would a huge corporation suddenly abandon its
> > main cash cow in favor of a freebie? Slowly killing the freebie seems
> > more likely to me, now that Oracle Corp. owns it. I am not sure as to why
> > people are not trying to run away from MySQL, but they obviously are not.
>
> > --http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> I honestly think that over the longer run, Oracle is trying to figure
> out how to make money from software as a service, rather than charging
> for it as a product.

Funnily enough, after my last post I got a junkemail that pointed at a link trumpeting "Michael Lehman achieved worldwide recognition as Sun Microsystems’ CFO, helping Sun manage through several business cycles to achieve a record of consistent growth," http://www.paloaltonetworks.com/news/press_releases/2010-0421-cfo.html Which made me wonder about consistent growth at Sun (it peaked with the dotcom), and eventually googled me to http://static.reuters.com/resources/media/editorial/20100513/Oracle.pdf (copyright 2009 lol)

Which seems to be saying that Oracle is intent upon making money from soup to nuts service, aka vendor lock-in. I could see them perfecting this at the high-end, then attempting to move downmarket by plugging in arbitrary cheaper parts, kind of like the current db licensing scheme. MySQL and XE then become throwaway bottom end stuff just to try to lure unsuspecting MS/Dell/HP marks.

I can certainly understand the “We don’t want customers making those decisions. They never quite tune it the way we would,” said Oracle President Charles Phillips. But it seems unpolitic and condescending.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"... Larry's an outstandingly lovely, flawless man." - Jonathan