Re: Oracle 11 Server and Unicode UTF-8

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:40:53 -0700 (PDT)

Walt:

> We're running Oracle 10g on Windows using ISO 8859 as the character set.
> We're exploring the idea of converting to unicode (UTF8) along with the
> upcoming upgrade to v11.
>
> I haven't found a good reference for how to best accomplish the
> conversion and what pitfalls to watch out for.  Any suggestions?
>
> One thing I expect to be a problem is that we have about 200 columns
> that are defined as Varchar2(4000).  My understanding is that this limit
> is 4000 *bytes* so some of our data may not "fit" if it contains enough
> characters with ascii values above 128.
>
> Anyone been through this before who'd like to offer sage advice?

Hard to believe you have not turned up relevant advice. This kind of question has been asked and answered a whole bunch of times on the internet. Yes even on cdos a bunch of times.

I have not tried searching cdos with the google groups interface for a while ... it used to work pretty well.

The Oracle documentation is pretty good here. Have you looked at it?

Other places to check are the Oracle forums for the database area or asktom ... Received on Thu May 27 2010 - 15:40:53 CDT

Original text of this message