Re: Off Topic: open source databases

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700 (PDT)

On May 26, 10:56 am, Mladen Gogala <n..._at_email.here.invalid> wrote:
> I guess this is a legitimate topic now that MySQL is essentially an
> Oracle product, too. My question, however, is not devoted to MySQL or any
> other specific OSS database. I am just interested in what OSS databases
> are mostly used in data centers, in addition to Oracle and why?
> Specifically about MySQL, did the fact that Oracle Corp. now owns it,
> lessen its appeal or even increase it? I must confess that I expected to
> see a massive exodus from MySQL which did not materialize. I confess that
> my understanding of the world may not be entirely correct and I will even
> allow the possibility that the Earth is not flat, but this I do not
> understand.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

We started implementing MySQL databases in mid 2007, and the trend has been constant since then. Our largest product to be released is going to be using MySQL sharding with a database agnostic front end (Let the insluts start flying).

A lot of the complaints that used to be levied against MySQL just aren't true anymore, especially with InnoDB. There are some things it just can't do, and my guess is never will (advanced security features, flashback, etc.), but for some that is OK.

Oracle still drives our big iron, but for how long? No clue. I can say I would be shocked to be receiving a paycheck in ten years for what I currently do. I am not a babysitter, I actively blog, test, learn new stuff, etc., it's just that I think Oracle's day as a $50K per CPU white knight has come and gone.

It's replacement in the world? I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle Corp.'s ownership if nothing else. Received on Wed May 26 2010 - 12:14:40 CDT

Original text of this message