Rman backup of BCV using ASM

From: <lyxx09_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 12:18:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

We have a Production instance (10.2.0.4) of 7TB running HP-UX 11.3 on ASM, BCV has already being utilized.
Now requirement is to push BCV to Tivoli Storage Manager using rman. Usually, for other (non-asm) databases we do attach their Luns and activate VG/LV on backup server then tsm admin push backup to tsm using disk-image option which is working perfectly fine.

For Prod - we are using Luns ( no volume manager ) for database and this has been checked with IBM (TSM) that direct backup from Lun is not an option in HP-UX, they need LV for disk-image option

I installed ASM on backup server and mounted diskgroups & put prod database also in mount stage.
Simply tried rman to send backup to TSM which is working fine except where I have to define multiple retention policy.

For example, after month-end, we required first backup to be backed-up with retention policy of 12 months and all other backups has usual 30 days retention policy. My problem is that *keep* option is not working here on archive logs.

As per Oracle Documentation, you can not use *keep until ..* option with archive logs, you simple need to use "Backup database keep until <<sysdate + 12m>> LOGS"

Where LOGs tells that Rman will not obsolete backup of archives until we retain the main backup. This is not going to work if we take backup using BCV which would be only in mount stage as I can not open&recover it.
Otherwise this would introduce another re-incarnation and will difficult recovery.

Your response will be appreciated. Please share your suggestions.

Thanks
Lyx Received on Sun May 23 2010 - 14:18:52 CDT

Original text of this message