Re: Question about rman

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:07:39 -0700 (PDT)

On May 20, 10:08 am, scarlosantos <scarlosan..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about a procedure wich I have to do in RMAN.
>
> My target database is a instance called MMCEM.
> My catalog database is a instance called RMAN.
> I have a auxiliary instance called MMCEM2.
> I have a cold backup of the instance MMCEM made in the day 12/05/2010
> with tag TAG20100512T172640.
>
> My problem is I need to restore this cold backup in the auxiliary
> instance and I do not know how to proceed.

Have you looked at the duplicate database examples in the OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide?

Note that in RMAN terminology, it is called a consistent backup.

You can also just do a plain restore of a consistent backup on a different node, but then you have to watch out that you don't connect it to your catalog, as the DBID will be the same. RMAN duplicate gives a new DBID. You can also change the DBID with the nid utility.

There are many ways to do this, part of deciding which is to be explicit about things like how often you intend to do it and what other constraints there are on the requirement.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"If Pearl Jam spelled their name p-e-r-l they would be a lot cooler."