Re: importing to 11Gr2 from 9i - full import or schema's only?

From: gs <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 17:22:41 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2010 14:59:06 GMT, gs <gs_at_gs.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming all the system etc. tables, views etc. in the 11G are just
>> left alone when ignore=y parameter is used and only other user data is
>> imported.

> ignore=y just means a when a CREATE TABLE statement fails because the
> table already exists, the associated INSERT statements are executed.
>
> SYSTEM is treated as an ordinary user by imp.
>
> SYS is never exported nor imported.
>
> -------
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

since this is still in "rehearsal mode", I tried importing full export file in using 11G "import from export files" GUI option, which basically looks like an imp front end. Anyway, full imp just failed, at first I tried having it read the dmp file so I could pick what I wanted to import (I wanted to see what it looked like, more than anything) but after that churned away for over two hours reading the export file with   no results I killed it and just tried the full import, which failed.

So, I did it again picking the schemas I wanted, all went ok save for some invalid views that would not compile. The reason they would not compile is that the public synonyms for one of the user schemas did not import for some reason, a quick create script taken from the production database fixed this, but I thought they would have come across with the import.

I also noticed that all the users accounts that have no tables were created, even though I did not specify them. I thought I would have to create them all manually (via create script) and I'm wondering if they were brought over before the full import hit whatever it did when it failed. Received on Thu May 06 2010 - 12:22:41 CDT

Original text of this message