Re: MSACCES.EXE to ORACLE via odbc implicit float number conversion

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:54:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 28, 3:39 am, HansP <Hans-Peter.Sl..._at_atosorigin.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps there is someone with knowledge about MSACCESS and ORACLE.
> A new application of one of my customers uses MSACCESS and ORACLE with
> ODBC between them.
>
> During 10046 level 12 tracing I saw bind variables type float
> (oacdty=101).
> The referenced columns are type number so a conversion takes place.
> This causes the optimizer to ignore the index.
>
> Are there any issues regarding floats and numbers and ODBC to Oracle?
>
> Regards Hans-Peter

Perhaps. 11.1 handles the mapping differently than earlier versions, but they are all likely to convert. Which version/patch level of everything are you using? Check the docs for odbc numeric conversion. You may be able to make an appropriate index anyways, not sure which side you are referring to has "type number."

Of course, we could be skeptical of your assertion that this is causing the optimizer to ignore the index, without further evidence.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://blog.taragana.com/law/2010/04/28/jurors-in-sarah-palin-e-mail-hacking-case-to-begin-2nd-day-of-deliberations-in-tenn-21747/