Re: DBMS_REPAIR.CHECK_OBJECT

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:00:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 26, 1:57 am, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Can you run rman backup to disk and at least get rman to tell you how
> > many bad blocks you have?
>
> Only one block is corrupted. Oracle 11g provdies various health
> monitors and only one block is shown as corrupted. My export dump
> fails for one table. One can reterive dthat table from a prevous
> export backup, but that will require some loss in data.  I am trying
> to figure what is the value of dbms_repair.

A while ago I recovered most of a release 7 table with the same problem.
If you can somehow mark that block as bad, the export will proceed ignoring it. That means you can then try to recover most of the missing block's rows with the help of a prior export. In v7 there was an event one could turn on to force export to ignore bad blocks and proceed with the rest. Perhaps that still works in 11? Or else some variation of dbms_repair to mark that block as ignored?
FWIW: the url to the post on bad blocks in V7 is http://dbasrus.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html HTH Received on Sun Apr 25 2010 - 19:00:21 CDT

Original text of this message