Re: Interesting SR response

From: Tim X <timx_at_nospam.dev.null>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:57:45 +1000

Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com> writes:

> So we have had a severity 1 SR open with Oracle since midnight Sunday
> morning. The bug has a note that has been on MOS since March 2009 for
> 10.2.0.4 (the version we are running), yet there was no patch. The
> only workaround without a patch is to move the table to a different
> tablespace. We have had almost zero feedback from Oracle since
> Sunday, and had to rebuild an additional table on Wednesday due to the
> same issue, requiring almost a six hour outage in total over the week.
>
> The issue itself has to do with space reclamation in a LOB, Doc ID
> 783593.1
>
> We just got the patch about three hours ago. Here is the response
> from Oracle support.
>
> /***************
>
> Hi,
>
> The patch is now available and can be downloaded from:
>
> http://updates.oracle.com/download/**************
>
> Please apply the patch and confirm whether the problem is resolved. As
> this is a severity 1 request, I would expect the patch to be applied
> within the next few hours.
>
> Regards,
> *********
>
> I am at a loss for words. I'm amazed as I watch Oracle destroy in
> about three years a reputation built up over the last 25 years.
>
> World Class support? Isn't this the argument they use every time they
> buy someone? I can't help but literally laugh every time I read that.

Thanks, thats made my day!

So, why are you wasting time posting here - better go and shut down your system and apply that patch before Oracle makes you go and stand on the 'naughty step' and then sends you to bed without any dinner and don't you dare moan about other business priorities, timezone differences or the fact your 50 hour week is already up and you want to go home - your the one who said it was important, so jump to it boy!

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au