Interesting SR response

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:41:56 -0700 (PDT)

So we have had a severity 1 SR open with Oracle since midnight Sunday morning. The bug has a note that has been on MOS since March 2009 for 10.2.0.4 (the version we are running), yet there was no patch. The only workaround without a patch is to move the table to a different tablespace. We have had almost zero feedback from Oracle since Sunday, and had to rebuild an additional table on Wednesday due to the same issue, requiring almost a six hour outage in total over the week.

The issue itself has to do with space reclamation in a LOB, Doc ID 783593.1

We just got the patch about three hours ago. Here is the response from Oracle support.

Hi,

The patch is now available and can be downloaded from:

http://updates.oracle.com/download/**************

Please apply the patch and confirm whether the problem is resolved. As this is a severity 1 request, I would expect the patch to be applied within the next few hours.

Regards,

I am at a loss for words. I'm amazed as I watch Oracle destroy in about three years a reputation built up over the last 25 years.

World Class support? Isn't this the argument they use every time they buy someone? I can't help but literally laugh every time I read that. Received on Fri Apr 23 2010 - 11:41:56 CDT

Original text of this message