Oracle RMAN Catalog vs. controlfile advantages

From: NetComrade <netcomrade_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

Can someone point me to exact list of things we'd lose w/o running w/ catalog?

After upgrade to 10.2.0.5 on Grid Control we have random job failures w/o any clear cause, and prior to that we already had a number of databases which had performance issues (resyncing with catalog forever). Yes, we do have a number of patches to apply, but we are rather tired of these issues, one of which is dealing with increasingly useless Oracle support.

The number one issue is managing all backups centrally, but we have this covered, since all jobs run from Grid anyway, and we parse RMAN outputs for errors.

What functionality we'd be losing? I've googled, and some places say some things like "some advanced commands are only available with catalog", but they don't specify which.

Thanks Received on Wed Apr 14 2010 - 12:27:49 CDT

Original text of this message