Re: recovery of oracle database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 16:03:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 1, 11:46 am, pathik <dhnpat..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 11:16 pm, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 1, 1:43 pm, pathik <dhnpat..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > My oracle9i server got currupted and we have recovered data from hard
> > > disks. Now I want to reinstall the server on the machine, and install
> > > oracle9i server on it. I have got all Data file, control files etc
> > > intact. how can I recover the database.
>
> > What do you mean, "intact"?  Do you mean you have all the files, but
> > don't know if they are consistent?  Were the files the result of a
> > cold backup?  If the instance was actively using the database files
> > when the server went down, then you *might* have recovery issues.
>
> > I would start with the backup and recovery docs, namely:
>
> >http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_toc?pathname=server.920%2Fa965...
>
> intact means I have all the files are there recovered on separate
> HDD,  but after reload of OS on server what will happen. whether I
> have to reload oracle9i RDDMS and reload dataabse on it or simply add
> all the RDBMS files.

OK, recovery in Oracle has a different meaning than you are using. What you are doing is restoring the files. Oracle may need to perform recovery on those restored files.

Questions that need clarification:

Do you have redo logs, spfiles, pfiles, init*.ora, oratab, service definitions, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora?

When you say recovered, do you mean you had someone take files off the disks that were on the server and put them somewhere else? Were some disks with Oracle executables on them lost, but data files on other disks not lost? Do you know what the $ORACLE_HOME environment variable was, and do you have the files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs (that is often where init.ora files are)?

Do you know what all the Oracle environment variables were, including PATH and ORACLE_SID (and registry if windows)? Do your users connect locally? Do you have the original directory structure?

What OS are you on, exactly? Which version and patch level of Oracle? It is important to install exactly the same patches and options if you have to reinstall the home. 9i is not an oracle. 9.2.0.8 is an oracle.

Do you have backup files made by RMAN or taken with hot or cold backups? Do you have archived logs? Do you know the archive locations? Do you have exports?

You can't just install executables and dump in data files and expect it to work. If you don't have backups, you don't get what you don't deserve. But it is kinda fun to see if we can help regardless.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://wave.google.com/getwavewave.html