Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: Jonathan Lewis <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:38:26 -0000

"Mladen Gogala" <> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:01:58 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:
>> Would anyone care to make a technical comment on my earlier comment
>> I'm still interested to hear how the front-end code can handle the
>> output from a procedure when it doesn't have any information about what
>> that output might look like.
> Well, there must be some information.

One would hope so - but in the Oracle world your front-end code has a formal link with the datbaase through the input types for a procedure and the output type for a function, and it's a little bit difficult to change the
(database) code in a way that changes the input and output types without realising that the front-end code might need to be modified.

On the other hand, in the SQL Server world you can have a procedure that has no apparent feature for a formal definition of what it's going to output - and therefore no formal mechanism for the front-end to associate what it's expecting with what the database code might deliver.

Jonathan Lewis