Re: ORA-19804: cannot reclaim nnnnnnnnn bytes disk space from nnnnnnnnnnnn limit

From: gazzag <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:20:30 -0700 (PDT)

On 25 Mar, 11:02, keekee <> wrote:
> I have posted on oracle but not oracle.server. I don't meant to have
> multi posts.
> I have a windowsXP with Oracle 10g installed and using RMAN backup.
> I got an error as below, someone set the RMAN backup before I take
> over this project. I am still learning how to use RMAN, but I need to
> resolve
> the problem. Please help.
> ORA-19804: cannot reclaim nnnnnnnnn bytes disk space from nnnnnnnnnnnn
> limit
> I have a lot of free disk space, but still got an error as above.
> The 10g version I have as below:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release - Prod
> PL/SQL Release - Production
> "CORE Production"
> TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version - Production
> NLSRTL Version - Production
> each time I got an error as ORA-19804, then I need to manually delete
> some backup files in FLASH_RECOVERY_AREA that is in my
> C drive. However, I have plenty of disk space in my C drive.

SQL> SHOW PARAMETER db_recovery_file_dest_size;

The parameter db_recovery_file_dest_size is a limit on how much disk space within the FLASH_RECOVERY_AREA that Oracle will use. If you have the disk space, you can increase it as follows:

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET db_recovery_file_dest_size=<new_value> SCOPE=BOTH; For example:

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET db_recovery_file_dest_size=20G SCOPE=BOTH;

This will tell Oracle to use up to 20 gigabytes.

Additionally, from the documentation:

ORA-19804: cannot reclaim string bytes disk space from string limit Cause: Oracle cannot reclaim disk space of specified bytes from the DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE limit.

Action: There are five possible solutions:

1) Take frequent backup of recovery area using RMAN.
2) Consider changing RMAN retention policy.
3) Consider changing RMAN archivelog deletion policy.
4) Add disk space and increase DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE.
5) Delete files from recovery area using RMAN.

-g Received on Thu Mar 25 2010 - 06:20:30 CDT

Original text of this message