Re: SQL Function call does not fail on no_data_found ?

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:07:33 +0100

Maxim Demenko wrote:
> On 23.03.2010 22:11, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:16:23 +0100, Michel Cadot wrote:
>>> Yes, no_data_found is trapped by SQL engine and converted to a NULL
>>> value.
>> Why is that? It looks like a huge bug to me. Is that documented
>> anywhere?
> Afair, what Michel stated, was always expected behaviour. There is a
> couple of references on MOS on this subject (is kinda of personal
> preferences whether it can be considered as oficially documented,
> however, i'm not sure, maybe it found already its way into Oracle
> manuals)
> Note 226211.1
> Note 258653.1
> Bug 893670
> Bug 299941
> Best regards
> Maxim

The description of NO_DATA_FOUND in the PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference con tains following 'disclaimer':
Because this exception is used internally by some SQL functions to signal that they are finished, you should not rely on this exception being propagated if you raise it within a function that is called as part of a query.

Some pointers to discussions on the NO_DATA_FOUND exception: