Re: Add second instance to EM database control

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:25:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 23, 2:16 am, mhoys <matthias.h..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a server with one Oracle 10g database instance, and I
> configured the local Enterprise Manager database control for it.
> Now I added a second instance on the server, using the same Oracle
> home. Can I manage this new instance using the existing database
> control or do I have to configure a second database control using
> another port? The documentation isn't too clear on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

You simply configure it on a different port. I've done this for a while with 3, though I've noticed when I log into system on one tab, it blows off the other on another tab. That may be specific to my platform, which has a number of dumbshit errors in dbconsole, which appear to be due to dumbshit developers not realizing there are differences in shells between linux and real unices (AIX and hp-ux that I know of in particular), and apparently not completely clear on the layering of the various parts. In particular, it can be very confused about whether things are up or down, outright lying to you about it on the command line. Watch what processes run and when, carefully.

In other words, no one at oracle apparently ever even tried it to see if it works on anything besides linux and windows. Then when you call support, you get RTFM because it works for them on linux or windows or in the docs. Or no response on a Sev 2 even after you give them all the RDA and crap they shouldn't even need. (To be fair, I have gotten some good support on some of these issues, but it's a crapshoot, and stuff is not fixed in the latest patchsets.)

Remember to post all version and platform info, it makes a difference.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"...withholding critical security updates smacks of extortion."