Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:36:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 23, 8:25 am, Thomas Gagne <TandGandGA..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> In the 21st century, the most expensive component of a system is its
> software, and the most expensive component of that is developer time, so
> "enterprise" had better find a new meaning.

Or had better find cheaper developers, because gthe current crop is waaaaay over-priced...

> Programmer appeal is a strength of MySQL.  Except for its screwy user
> scheme, it's easier to install and manage than either Oracle or Sybase,
> and includes many features near-and-dear to programmers.

Ease of install has nothing to do with "programmer appeal".

> More and more,
> programmers are the ones sneaking technologies like PHP, Python, Linux,
> and now MySQL thru the IT back door.

More and more programmers are being identified as sneaky people.

> I haven't heard or read of anyone

> sneaking Oracle into a project because it's easy to install, use,
> administer, or program.

You won't hear of anyone "sneaking" Oracle mostly because it is used in places where responsibility and professionalism are the determinant factors, as opposed to "sneakyness".

> My observation regarding Oracle, DB2, Sybase, and SqlServer is the need
> to compete for programmer mindshare,

Not for "sneaky" developers?

> 'cause "enterprise" software is
> increasingly more about "enterprise" cost than "enterprise" features,
> which if not available today will be tomorrow for much less.

What's that got to do with "programmer mindshare" and "sneakyness"?

Do you even have a consistent point without changing universe of discourse halfway through a sentence?
On second thought, don't bother answering: I'm not interested in your sneaky thoughts! Received on Mon Mar 22 2010 - 20:36:52 CDT

Original text of this message