Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: <phil_herring_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 23, 8:25 am, Thomas Gagne <TandGandGA..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Programmer appeal is a strength of MySQL.  Except for its screwy user
> scheme, it's easier to install and manage than either Oracle or Sybase,
> and includes many features near-and-dear to programmers.  More and more,
> programmers are the ones sneaking technologies like PHP, Python, Linux,
> and now MySQL thru the IT back door.  I haven't heard or read of anyone
> sneaking Oracle into a project because it's easy to install, use,
> administer, or program.

Hmm.

I don't wish to offend anyone, by big beef with programmers is that they tend to regard the DB as "part of the application", and make their decisions accordingly. That may well be why they choose products like MySQL when it's simply not appropriate to do so. (Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.)

Frankly, I think decisions like "which RDBMS do we use?" are best left to people with a better appreciation of the big picture. They might be an architect, technical manager, DBA, or some combination. But programmers? Sorry, no. There's more to that decision than how it looks to the programmers.

  • Phil