Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: Thomas Gagne <TandGandGAGNE_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:25:34 -0400

Galen Boyer wrote:
> <snip>
>
> One of the biggest winning arguments for Oracle, is that it run on
> almost all platforms, MS products only run on one.

That argument had traction in the 80s and 90s when hardware was expensive--especially minicomputers. Hardware prices have come down so much that being able to run on multiple operating systems (back when manufacturers had their own OSes) was a big plus.

In the 21st century, the most expensive component of a system is its software, and the most expensive component of that is developer time, so "enterprise" had better find a new meaning.

Programmer appeal is a strength of MySQL. Except for its screwy user scheme, it's easier to install and manage than either Oracle or Sybase, and includes many features near-and-dear to programmers. More and more, programmers are the ones sneaking technologies like PHP, Python, Linux, and now MySQL thru the IT back door. I haven't heard or read of anyone sneaking Oracle into a project because it's easy to install, use, administer, or program.

My observation regarding Oracle, DB2, Sybase, and SqlServer is the need to compete for programmer mindshare, 'cause "enterprise" software is increasingly more about "enterprise" cost than "enterprise" features, which if not available today will be tomorrow for much less. Received on Mon Mar 22 2010 - 16:25:34 CDT

Original text of this message