Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:08:20 -0500

"Robert Klemme" <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message news:80n5p6F596U1_at_mid.individual.net...

> On 03/21/2010 04:49 PM, Bob Jones wrote:
>> "Robert Klemme" <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> Why is that an argument pro Oracle?
>>>

>> Very simple, choices. That is a major advantage.
>
> I beg to differ.  Some do not need the choice, some are only looking for
> MS based products, some don't care about the OS...

Saying I don't care about OS is like saying I don't care about cost, features, scalability, and so forth. I have no doubt some companies think Windows is the best solution for everything - at least M$ is one of them.

> On the other hand, if you need to support multiple platforms you either
> need to make compromises to be able to adjust your product to all of
> them - or you need significant more development resources.

Why? Oracle has already done that. You talk to the databases the same way across all platforms.

> The sheer number of supported OS to choose from is not a value in itself. >

Of course, choice has no value. Scalability has no value. Security has no value. Nothing has value. Received on Sun Mar 21 2010 - 14:08:20 CDT

Original text of this message