Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 19, 4:56 pm, Thomas Gagne <tgga..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Sybrand, no need to be insecure.  I'm just trying to figure out how
> Oracle programmers do things I've been doing since the early 90s.   At
> present my task is to figure out how to do write procedures for Oracle
> and am trying to discover what it's capabilities are.  Packages and
> cursors add complexity that doesn't exist in other products.  Don't
> feel threatened, I'm sure there are features Oracle provides that are
> difficult to simulate without complexity in other DBs, like recursive
> SELECTs.
>
> But for the purposes of this thread, the topic is stored procedures
> and returns data sets either to an interactive user using SQLDeveloper
> or an application.

I would recommend that you buy and read ( probably multiple times ) Tom Kyte's book Expert Oracle Architecture.

Read the first chapter a couple of times. Do the shampoo song ( rinse and repeat ).

You need to understand and harness the power of Oracle ... not keep repeating I would do this if it were SQL server. That's the road to purgatory that you are currently traveling on. Received on Fri Mar 19 2010 - 16:58:29 CDT

Original text of this message